To assist citizens, nearby sandbags are available at:
•Winthrop Park, 1601 Mitchell Avenue)
•James Messer Park South, 2830 Jackson Bluff Road
•Lawrence-Gregory Community Center, 1115 Dade Street
Sandbags are limited to 25 bags per household. You need to bring a shovel to fill bags. Crews will monitor and provide additional sand and bags as needed. The site will be open until the storm threat has passed and it is determined there is no longer a need.
For seniors and those with special needs, assistance with filling sandbags will be provided at the Messer Park South location.
HOW TO STAY CONNECTED
- Talgov.com (for storm tracking and emergency response updates, etc.)
- DigiTally, the City’s free mobile app (for timely information and reporting downed trees, power outages, etc.)
- Twitter.com/COTNews and Facebook.com/COTNews (for timely information about local preparedness and response efforts)
- WFSU – 88.9 FM (the designated local radio station for storm-related information)
- Tallahassee Democrat
The following shelter locations will open tomorrow at noon:
· Chiles High School - 7200 Lawton Chiles Lane 32312 (pet friendly)
· Lincoln High School - 3838 Trojan Trail 32311
· Fort Braden K-8 - 15100 Bountstown Highway 32310
· Godby High School - 1717 West Tharpe Street 32303
· Sail High School - 2006 Jackson Bluff Road 32304
· Florida High - 3000 School House Rd 32311 (pet friendly)
All shelters have the capability of taking pets, but Chiles High School is the only general shelter that has staff for pets. If you plan to go to a shelter, we recommend that you bring blankets, pillows, snacks, water and entertainment. Meals will likely not be provided.
AFTER THE STORM
Water will be available at Fire Stations 1,2,3,4 and 9. The City will also have the following community centers available as comfort stations during normal operating hours:
- Lawrence-Gregory Community Center — 1115 Dade St.
- Sue McCollum Community Center, Lafayette Park — 501 Ingleside Avenue
- Jack McLean Community Center — 700 Paul Russell Road
- Jake Gaither Community Center — 801 Bragg Drive
- Walker-Ford Community Center — 2301 Pasco St.
- The Senior Center — 1400 N. Monroe St.
A comfort station typically can provide a small cooler of ice. Plus, there will be games and a gym for kids, plus AC and a TV area for everyone. Please check Talgov.com for updates on hours of operation and availability of services.